Global shift error

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
honeyhoney

Global shift error

Post by honeyhoney »

Hi!

I am trying to merge ALS and MLS using point cloud. ALS is from L1 so it has RTK and it is my reference. when i get the global shift prompt i always say yes to all.
mls.JPG
mls.JPG (29.84 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
now, when i load my MLS which does not have coordinates i will untick the preserve global shift as i want it to be georeferenced with the ALS data.
mls.JPG
mls.JPG (29.84 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
everything is fine. until I aligned the MLS to ALS. every time i shift the MLS to align it with the ALS it will do this:
issue.png
issue.png (149.25 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
I tried fine register, point picking and translating it will still have it. The worst it when i export it it will have the same problem.

not sure what to do as i've tried so many method. I've been playing around with the global shift to see what works but it will do it again.

Please help as im stuck with this.
Attachments
als.JPG
als.JPG (34.16 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Global shift error

Post by daniel »

So on the first captures, there's clearly something wrong as you are translating the points from a local coordinate system with small coordinates to a CS with large ones (hence causing the accuracy loss and the display issue).

You should load these points without any shift, and then only apply a (virtual) shift to this cloud so that they end in the same global shift as your other cloud. Either via the registration tools, or via the 'Edit > Edit Global Shift & Scale' menu entry.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
honeyhoney

Re: Global shift error

Post by honeyhoney »

Thanks Daniel!

Yes. you are correct. I had to load the MLS point cloud with "Automatic" so it will not place it far away from the reference PC.