Crash when running Cloud / Cloud comparison

Feel free to ask any question here
mbmiller34

Crash when running Cloud / Cloud comparison

Post by mbmiller34 »

Having a very frustrating crash when running cloud to cloud comparisons. Sometimes it will cause my computer to hang with CPU at 100%, most of the time it will not. Can't really reproduce the bug or determine what is causing it outside of finding a specific point cloud that causes the crash. I've attached a bin file with a point cloud that causes the crash.

My work flow is: Create rasterization of the existing point cloud (this one I used 0.5 and leave empty) then create a re-rasterization at 0.1 with interpolation. Then compare the 0.1 cloud against the original point cloud. This point cloud is reasonably small, at 202540, but hangs the computer every time. The 22213331 point cloud has no issues running the C2C. If I slice this point cloud in half, the C2C runs without issue.
Attachments
17.zip
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 310 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Crash when running Cloud / Cloud comparison

Post by daniel »

Which version of CloudCompare are you using?

(on my side, following your instructions, and with the 2.12.alpha version, it seems to work fine)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
mbmiller34

Post by mbmiller34 »

Running 2.11.3 - i'll try upgrading
mbmiller34

Post by mbmiller34 »

I tried the new version and getting crashes with a new dataset. Created a 1m min elevation leave empty rasterization, export as cloud. Create the second rasterization with 0.1 spacing with interpolation from 1m rasterization. Compare the 0.1 rasterization cloud against the original cloud. Run C2C comparison and on pressing computing my system hangs. It should compare in 1-3 seconds typically. Included attachment on thread
Attachments
ground points.zip
(271.8 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Which default altitude have you set for the cells that can't be interpolated? Because in this case, you might have points very far from the original cloud (that's what I have on my side):
rasterize_not_interpolated.JPG
rasterize_not_interpolated.JPG (18.55 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
Well, it only slightly slows the computation anyway, since there are not that many points. And in my case, in both cases it takes either 0.05 s. or 0.27s. So quite fast. Maybe I'm missing a step?
mbmiller34

Post by mbmiller34 »

That's the kicker it should be quite fast regardless but something is causing my to hang and go to 100% CPU usage. Ones I suspect will cause it to hang don't and ones that shouldn't do. I sent over the same files that I ran, even test them to confirm that I was sending you one that will reproduce the error. Closed and opened new instance but yet it doesn't on your end. I can trim the cloud in half and process each half seperately and it works fine but I wouldn't know to cut the cloud in half unless it crashes.
mbmiller34

Post by mbmiller34 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfPpyJNFWGY

Here is me doing what i described, dunno if it will help
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Thanks for the video, it helped me to reproduce the issue.

It's actually because CC chooses a level 20 octree to perform the computation (which is crazily small). I'll try to understand why it's doing that.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok this should be fixed in the latest 2.12.beta version. Thanks for the feedback.