Architectural practice introducing pointcloud

Feel free to ask any question here
Stoxdag

Architectural practice introducing pointcloud

Post by Stoxdag »

Hi,

I am a co-founder of an architectural practice and we are currently testing 3D scanning equipment and utilising poincloud data. We are also running a test on archicad versus revit. We mainly focus on homeowner development, such as extensions and loft conversions etc. Does anyone have any tips or guidance on this? For example, which is the best software to use to import the data, to clean pointcloud files, to trace and produce 2D plans, elevations and sections.

Thanks.

Nick.
thales

Re: Architectural practice introducing pointcloud

Post by thales »

Hi Nick,

I am an unemployed hydrographic surveyor and rather foolishly invested in a Leica BLK360 TLS, without asking the questions that you have asked.

In the past I had worked with a Land Surveyor colleague on Measured Building Surveys, for renovation projects and the TLS seemed like the ideal tool to acquire very detailed data sets, unfortunately, I had not realised that the processing software is more important than the acquisition system.

There are several opensource programs that will let you design your own building, but none, that I know of, that will permit import of the point cloud to trace over the outline (in a separate layer).

I cannot afford being tied in to AutoDesk products, so have looked at various applications to try and accomplish what you intend to achieve, eg tracing over the point cloud (downward / plan orthometric view) to generate polylines which can be saved as .dxf files for use in other / AutoDesk products.

It is possible to generate polylines in Cloud Compare, after making a "slice" through an elevation (at a desired height offset), which I am trying to refine.

It is also possible to trace a polyline over said plan view by selecting visual points, however, I have asked Daniel if the pointer could be changed from a finger to a cross hair and whether it would be possible to zoom in and out, without breaking a line, because the application has to stop - we'll have to see if he takes any action on this.

Good luck with your search for a workable solution.

Thales.