save/export roated point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
cmassiot

save/export roated point cloud

Post by cmassiot »

Hi,
I have rotated a point cloud using the translate/rotate tool. When I save it to be used externally, I think it actually exports the original coordinates instead of the rotated ones. How can I export the point cloud with the rotated coordinates?

Thanks
Cecile
daniel
Site Admin

Re: save/export roated point cloud

Post by daniel »

If you have used the 'Translate/Rotate' tool (http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/in ... ation_Tool) then the coordinates are actually transformed in memory (and therefore I don't see how CC could 'restore' the original coordinates at export time).

Have you validated the transformation before quiting the tool? Otherwise make sure you have selected the right cloud before saving.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
cmassiot

Re: save/export rotated point cloud + RANSAC plane display

Post by cmassiot »

Hi,
ok, sorry, it was a dumb question, it turns out the rotated state was actually exported. I was comparing the min and max coordinates before/after rotation: they were nearly identical by chance just because of the shape of the point cloud.

Hopefully my next question is not so dumb: in RANSAC, "apart for planes, the other primitives are not displayed by default". Is there a way of NOT displaying the planes by default? I have quite a large dataset and prefer checking the results with just the colours of the points, not the planes themselves.

I am using RANSAC for similar applications than this thread: http://www.danielgm.net/cc/forum/viewto ... tion#p3810 . I work on lava flows wich have curved fractures and I really like that RANSAC can fit both spheres and planes, to which I can then fit planes. I saw in another question that you were working on a plugin for planar faces extraction, it's very exciting! Any update? If you need another set of data to test it, I'm happy to share my lava flow dataset and/or run tests myself.

Cheers
Cecile
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

To "not" display the planes by default, you would have to comment just one line of code... and recompile the project. Can you do it?

And regarding the other plugin, I think it would be very interesting to test it on other data. It may help us "refresh" this project (idle right now because we lack "ground truth" data to qualify it).

You can send me emails to 'cloudcompare [at] danielgm.net' (replace the [at] by @).
lecturer

Post by lecturer »

Dear daniel,

Thank you for your kind reply. I'm still strugling in getting the transformed coordinates after using the "translate/rotate" tool. I'm doing something wrong.

Just as a brief summary, what I want to do is to use CloudCompare to set manually the origin of the cordinate system of my cloud of points (by using the "translate/rotate" tool), and then export the transformed database to work with it in R.

After using the "translate/rotate" tool I save the information in a new file, but such file still has the original origin of the cordinate system.

Thanks
Pierre
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Apart from my first answer, the only other issue could be with the 'Global shift and scale' information (do you load a cloud with very big coordinates?).

In this case you may have to edit manually the Global Shift information (Edit > Edit Global Shift & Scale).
DENISCELL

Post by DENISCELL »

Daniel, the above post was the most helpful in my 3-day quest of finding appropriate softwae to shift ( actually, truncate) global Northing several million meters.
so manually it looks like in order to shift a given pointcloud, one has to:
1: load original pointcloud with shift so not to destroy precision;
2: go to "edit- edit global shift and scale" and manually do the "truncation"
3: save in one of the formats

I checked, shift happens, no coordinates destroyed.
Now the most exciting will be to automate the process via batch file in command line:

batch file.bat:

c:
cd C:/Program Files/CloudCompare
CloudCompare.exe -SILENT -O {PATH\TARGETPOINTCLOUD_001.pts} -GLOBAL_SHIFT 0 -3000000 0 {here I am missing the command for manul truncation} -C_EXPORT_FMT-ASC -SAVE_CLOUDS
repeat N times

Please, advise what's missing / or if it even possible to do that shift in a command line?
Many thanks in advance!
DENISCELL

Post by DENISCELL »

The answer might be in the
-APPLY_TRANS {filename} ?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Currently there's no option in command line to drop the global shift / scale. I'll add it to the TODO list.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok ,the latest online 2.6.3 version has a new 'DROP_GLOBAL_SHIFT' option. See the wiki here: http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/in ... _line_mode.