Water - Flow Puddling

Feel free to ask any question here
orinn

Water - Flow Puddling

Post by orinn »

I need to determine in a parking lot where the water will collect and create puddles.

This is a feature that exists in Civil 3D, and I feel like the solution already exists in cloud compare or can easily be created.
FlowDirection.JPG
FlowDirection.JPG (143.25 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
I know this shows me flow direction, but its hard to determine where water will pool up and where it drains too. Is there a clever solution to determine where water would flow on this site?

Link to Data
https://app.box.com/s/th3dvac6almbmsx995gah4qq0hz6ah60
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Water - Flow Puddling

Post by daniel »

Sorry I really don't see how to do this in CC!

You would need some watershed algorithm I guess. This is a classical image processing algorithm. Therefore you could convert your cloud to a 2.5D raster (with the Rasterize tool) and then find another tool to do some watershed segmentation...
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
orinn

Post by orinn »

This is a lowest Z grid, my thought was its a simple matter of taking the normal color direction, and dropping an imaginary golf ball on that point, then sending in the direction of that normal to the next point. Continue until it reaches the end of points or is caught into a loop. Do this for every point, show where the points end up.

If you have interest in such a thing great, otherwise Thank you for your time and I'll try and find a solution.
orinn

Post by orinn »

In the end I was able to use your program. I was overthinking the problem. I can use normals, to get degrees, which then gives me slope %, beneath a certain threshold water does not flow, thus it becomes standing water. This ignores where water is flowing too, but it gives me most of what I needed anyway.

As always thank you for the amazing program.
Attachments
Slope-Percent.JPG
Slope-Percent.JPG (132.25 KiB) Viewed 2268 times