Texture of collapsed towers

Feel free to ask any question here
Dimitri

Re: Texture of collapsed towers

Post by Dimitri »

Great !

Jean-Baptiste, to get close to a "drawing" you could use the PCV plugin (computes sky visibility which is by definition low between bricks) or a curvature at the scale typical of the brick spacing. Then you play with the saturation of the color scale in BW mode and you should be close to have all the bricks standing out.

Or even funnier: you separate the bricks using the PCV or Curvature scalar (min/max function), and then you do a Connected Component segmentation to separate all bricks and have them in random colors. Would be great for visualization.

Dim
Strider75

Post by Strider75 »

Thanks Daniel! This is a great tool for many different applications. Great work as always.
kachlica

Post by kachlica »

Just a question. Is this fantastic "uwrap" tool appliable also upon textured mesh?
kachlica

Post by kachlica »

Just a question. Is this fantastic "unwrap" procedure appliable on textured mesh as well?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

No, only for clouds for now!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
geophotologist

Post by geophotologist »

Hi Daniel,

I am on Mac and using version 2.6.1, is the unfold button included in this version? I cannot see it in the extract section tools.

Also how would you unwrap a tunnel? would you put the polyline down the length of the tunnel or around it (See images)?

Also the Extract Sections tool does not work most times. When I right click to end the polyline it disappears.
Attachments
planview length view
planview length view
Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 1.19.35 pm.png (86.63 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
profile view
profile view
Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 1.19.51 pm.png (40.83 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Indeed, the unfold option is not available on Mac OS yet (but CloudCompare 2.7 version is about to be released and will be supported on all platforms... stay tuned).

To 'unwrap' the tunnel, you would have to use the second option (draw the polyline around it).

And the issue you report is probably a MacOS only issue. It should also be fixed with the 2.7 version (you can send a message to Andy Maloney to ask him about this - https://asmaloney.com/contact/. He may even be able to provide you with a beta version for you to test).
Janhoteko

Post by Janhoteko »

I got a gaps on resulting point clouds. Tryed to make unroll many times. Tryed to place 120 vertex on polyline to get smoother polyline. Tryed different Thickness on Distance to polyline dialog. Always I getting this gaps.
02.jpg
02.jpg (247.16 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
Is there a way to make unfold point cloud without a gaps on pertex position?
01b.jpg
01b.jpg (153.44 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
And daniel has same problem too on his result
001.jpg
001.jpg (171.56 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I'll have to investigate a little bit more about this to give you a proper answer but I remember it happens when the wall is not perfectly vertical. At least on the tower example this was the explanation.

Don't hesitate to send me your data and I'll look into it (cloudcompare [at] danielgm.net).
Janhoteko

Post by Janhoteko »

daniel wrote:I'll have to investigate a little bit more about this to give you a proper answer but I remember it happens when the wall is not perfectly vertical. At least on the tower example this was the explanation.

Don't hesitate to send me your data and I'll look into it (cloudcompare [at] danielgm.net).
I sent my point cloud to your mail.
Yes, my object is not so vertical...