Cross section tool

Feel free to ask any question here
Colinmazengarb

Cross section tool

Post by Colinmazengarb »

Really pleased to see the cross section tool added. This is really useful for visualising rock face profiles which is my current interest.

Just noticed a minor omission and something to put on the wish list.

The second button on the cross section window pane (immediately right of the button that "exports as a new cloud") doesn't have any text tip to tell you what it does. Can you please provide an explanation and fix the tool in the next build?

On my wish list: is it possible to change the orientation of the cross-section away from X Y Z alignment? For example, I want to be able to rotate the interactors about the vertical axis (perhaps using my mouse) in order to align each section of my choosing to be normal to the rock face. I don't want to rotate the point cloud away from its correct alignment to achieve this. Hope this is clear.

regards
Colin
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Cross section tool

Post by daniel »

I'll fix this. To rotate the clipping box, you just have to play with the 'torus' around each big colored arrow in the 3D view (this will make the box rotate around the arrow axis).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
giancan

Post by giancan »

Hi there,
is there a way to create a section accross a line or a plane?
I have a line in cad which I can easily convert (extrude) in a surface. If I save it as dxf and load it in cloudcompare, is it possible to use that as cutting plane? Or should I move the cross section manually to match it?
Thanks a lot,
G.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

In fact if you have a (2D) line and you want to use it to cut along the XY, XZ or YZ planes, then you can directly load it (as a DXF file for instance) and use it in the 'Extract sections' tool (see http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/in ... t_Sections).

Otherwise it will be harder ;)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
giancan

Post by giancan »

Great Daniel,
it looks perfect.
Thanks for your great software