exporting data from histograms

Feel free to ask any question here
SJG

exporting data from histograms

Post by SJG »

Hello,

Looking for some help. I'm using M3C2 to compare distances between two clouds- these distances can be plotted in a histogram, but is there a way to simply extract all the numerical data from a histogram into excel for example?

Also on a separate note- I have been trying to evenly space points in each cloud, how should I go about this?

Any help much appreciated, thanks for your time.

Sam.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: exporting data from histograms

Post by daniel »

Hi,

If your cloud has not too many points, you can simply export it as an ASCII file (you'll get 'X Y Z distance etc.' on each line). Excel can import this kind of files if the number of lines is not too high.

Otherwise you can export the histogram directly to Excel with the latest beta version (see viewtopic.php?t=1298).

And eventually, you can resample your cloud with the 'Edit > Subsample' tool (see http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/in ... CSubsample - choose the 'SPACE' method).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
SJG

Post by SJG »

Thanks for your help Daniel!
SJG

Post by SJG »

One quick question - when the data is exported into Excel there are four columns ( Class Value Class start Class end)

what exactly do these represent?

Thanks for your time.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Each class corresponds to a range of values. So the first column must be the class 'central' value, then you have the min and max values of the class 'range' and eventually you get the number of points falling in this class.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin