E57 Save Crash

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
evers

E57 Save Crash

Post by evers »

Hi
I get a crash every time I try to save an e57 file. Writes "Hum, it seems that CC has crashed ... Sorry about that :)"
And I have tested opening several different e57 files and save them again or save .bin files as e57, and I get the same crash every time.
I am running CloudCompare v2.5.5.2 64 bit on windows 7.

Am I doing something wrong? or is it a bug?

Best Henrik
daniel
Site Admin

Re: E57 Save Crash

Post by daniel »

Hi,

Seems to be a bug. Can you test with the latest beta release? (edit: link removed)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
evers

Post by evers »

Hi Daniel

Thanks for your fast reply. Unfortunately it is the same in the beta version. It still crashes. I can see if I open a bin file containing one scan, then I can save that one scan as a e57. But if I open an e57 with one scan and try to save it as e57 again it crashes. And if I open several .bin files and try to save them as one e57 it crashes. Hope this made sense :)

Best
Henrik
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Sadly I can't reproduce the issue.

What is your OS? Have you (re)installed the latest Visual 2012 redistributable package? (http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download ... x?id=30679).

Maybe your clouds have all something specific (scalar fields? etc.). Can you share an e57 file with me? (email: danielgm [at] cloudcompare.net)
evers

Post by evers »

Hi Daniel

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. And should have the latest Visual 2012 redistributable package.
I tried to share a small 4mb e57 with you. But the email couldn't be delivered for some reason. It said this:

danielgm'at'cloudcompare.net
box522.bluehost.com
Remote Server returned '550 No Such User Here'

Do you have another way I can send it to you?

Best
Henrik
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ah! I'm a bit tired ;)

The email is the opposite: cloudcompare [at] danielgm.net
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok, found it: it was a bug in libE57 (libE57 was saving some values with a fixed precision - 7 digits - and its own internal checks against precision loss made it throw an exception which was not caught). I increased the precision to 8 digits (hopefully it should work with about any cloud this way).

Thanks for the feedback anyway. I've updated the beta version (same link as above).