issue during calculating the distance between 2 points

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
florent

issue during calculating the distance between 2 points

Post by florent »

Hi,
I'm using cloudcompare on windows 7 sp1, and I can't calculate the distance between two points without having a cloudcomprare brealdown.
I don't know why... but I have 2 warning messages during the software startup ..

"[3D View 1]Not enough memory on shader side to use color ramp shader!(max=1034/1040 bytes)"
and
"[plugin] Cannot load library D:/Program Files/CloudCompare/plugins/QKINECT_PLUGIN.dll; the specified module could not be found"
(I don't have any "other device" or "xbox...." in device manager)

What does it mean ??
How fix the problem and make the software calculate two points distance without breakdown?

Thx
daniel
Site Admin

Re: issue during calculating the distance between 2 points

Post by daniel »

Hi,

The two warnings in the console are somehow "normal" (the first one means that you graphic card can't run the ColorRamp shader - so the display of distances color might be a bit slower without - and the other means that you don't have the OpenKinect driver installed therefore you can't use the qKinect plugin (to grab point clouds from a Kinect device).

Sadly the crash after distances computation is more troublesome:
  • check that the ColorRamp shader is indeed deactivated in the Display settings (see the Display menu) - maybe the crash occurs when CC try to display the colors
  • otherwise you'll have to send me the data that make CC crash. And by the way do you really want to compute the distance between 2 points or between 2 clouds? In the first case do you use the "Tools > Distances > C2C" method or the "Point picking" tool?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
florent

Post by florent »

Thanks for your reply. We solved the problem.

It seems that all point clicking tools (distances between 2 points, point list picking etc ...) were crashing the application (do not respond).
Please find below a short recap:
- the application was working perfectly with Windows 8, OS pre-installed on new DELL PC
- after an update to windows 8.1, problems occur with point picking tools (other parts of the application are working correctly)
- those problems were additional arguments to switch to windows 7. Same problems on windows 7.

The problems were due to the use of the graphic card Intel(R) HD Graphics.
The PC has to graphical cards. The second is an NVIDIA GT620. The application is working perfectly with this graphical cards.

It seems that the different OS updates changed the preferences for the default graphical card.

In conclusion, it seems that the use of Could Compare with Intel(R) HD Graphics seems to be problematic.

Regards,
Flo.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Must be an issue with the OpenGL support by each card's driver... What is strange is that the C2C distance and the point picking tools have nothing in common (did CC crash when you picked the first point or the second one)?
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Hi Daniel,

I think they meant the "distance between 2 points" in the point picking tool, not the C2C calculation.

On my laptop (win 7 sp1), I've switched to the intel graphic card (HD3000), and I don't have the problem.
Intel drivers v8.15.10.2291
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

For the records, the next version (2.6.1) will use CPU-based point picking instead of relying on the video card.