Distance measuremenr

Feel free to ask any question here
ortho

Distance measuremenr

Post by ortho »

Hi!

I am an orthodontist and in some ortho articles cloudcompare is the tool to measure distances between actual and predicted tooth movements.
So i installed and tried it myself, and found out that this is not so easy to do, so i could really use some help.

Objective: Measure diference between predicted/actual tooth movment
Data: 2 stl files. 1 stl is the actual full set of teeth of the patient after using an orthodontic device. The other stl is the "virtual setup" of how it should be. (i also have the "real" initial scan of the patient before treatment.

- I tried cloudcompare, first registration/align/the measure distance cloud / cloud - cloud/mesh.

However, i want to know quantitative measures in x y and z, and also rotations. Not just a qualitative visual color graphic.
Also, what happened to every simgle tooth... is it possible? Should i have to segment all teeth individually?

Thanks!!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Distance measuremenr

Post by daniel »

Yes, if you want to do that, you'll need to segment each tooth individually, then perform the registration between each tooth and the reference scan (probably the predicted one - and you don't need to segment it).

Then you can look at the 'transformation' history of each segmented tooth (in its properties, at the very end). This is a transformation matrix that contains the rotation and translation. A trick to extract more information from this matrix is to copy it, and then paste it in the 'Edit > Apply transformation' tool. This way you can see various representations of this matrix as an angle and an axis (and a translation) or as Euler angles.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin