CPU Low usage / architecture cross sections

Feel free to ask any question here
GianoG

CPU Low usage / architecture cross sections

Post by GianoG »

Hello,

I have just started using CC recently. I am an architect who needs to produce some drawings from a point cloud that covers a large area of about 2km by 2km. From this large area, partly covered with trees and vegetation, I have segmented a smaller portion from which I would like to extract a mesh with texture to export to Rhino for creating sections.

The problem is that when I use "poissonrecon", even after many hours, I get nothing. I have tried levels from 14 to 12. I then noticed that the fan of my laptop was spinning little, I checked the task manager and noticed that the CPU usage oscillates between 15% and 30% at most, with the remaining part used minimally by the rest of the systems. In other words, it seems that Cloudcompare is not able to use all the computing power.

Do you know how to solve this problem? Do you know if there are internal tools in Cloudcompare to speed up my work (for example, creating sections with texture directly in the point cloud)?

Thanks everyone!

Giano
daniel
Site Admin

Re: CPU Low usage / architecture cross sections

Post by daniel »

12 is already very high. It will produce a massive mesh. So I would start first with 9 or 10 to test the result.

The other issue you might face is that PoissonRecon (or CloudCompare) don't generate textures. Only per-vertex colors. So make sure this is something that can suit your needs and be imported in Rhino (maybe as a PLY or FBX file).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
GianoG

Post by GianoG »

Thank you,
I can get a 14 level mesh just with small portion. I know is an exponential variable.
What I canno guess is why a so low cpu usage.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ah, that's a question for the author of the PoissonRecon library ;)

I guess not everything can be done in parallel? Or there are some bottlenecks in the process.

By the way, if you use a recent version of CC, you can also set/check the number of threads used.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin