Windows x64 installation - crash at startup

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
matt_w

Windows x64 installation - crash at startup

Post by matt_w »

Hi there,

Just downloaded the x64 bit CloudCompare Windows installer. No problems with installation, but as soon as I attempt to open the application it crashes immediately and displays the Windows error "CloudCompare.exe has stopped working... Windows is checking for a solution to the problem" (funnily enough, it doesn't find one...)

Have tried uninstalling and downloading and extracting the .zip file instead. Running the CloudCompare application from this directory brings up the same error message.

Have checked that the C++ redistributable that is mentioned on the Downloads page is installed, and turns out I already have a newer version that the one that is recommended is installed, so I have left this.

Any tips on how to get this working much appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Windows x64 installation - crash at startup

Post by daniel »

Hum, hard to tell We seldom hear of such issues.

What is your Windows version? And what is you graphic card model?

Meanwhile you can try several things:
- start the software with the 'start.bat' file
- remove the 'plugins' folder
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
matt_w

Post by matt_w »

Hi Daniel,

I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium on a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop with a factory-standard graphics card (described as "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD") - perhaps this is the problem?

I have removed the plugins folder and have tried to run it using 'start.bat', but a command-line window pops up (and disappears almost immediately) which displays the message "C:\Program Files\CloudCompare>qCC.exe - 'qCC.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Matt
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Oups! You can edit the start.bat file (with any text editor) and replace qCC.exe' by 'CloudCompare.exe' (I'll fix this on my side for the next releases ;).

And to test if the issue comes from the integrated graphic card: simply delete the file 'color_ramp.frag' file in the "shaders\ColorRamp" folder.
matt_w

Post by matt_w »

Hi Daniel - I've corrected the batch file as suggested, and also removed 'color_ramp.frag', but it doesn't seem to have solved the problem... Instant crash on start-up still! :-S
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Thanks for the feedback.

At least we know now that there's less chance this is a graphic card related error... or maybe a driver issue? (do you have up-to-date drivers for your graphic card?)

If it's not a driver issue, I have last simple test: remove all the sub folders (plugins, imageformats, and shaders).