Registering two point clouds

Feel free to ask any question here
Sarhat

Registering two point clouds

Post by Sarhat »

Hello every one

i have two sets of point clouds one from laser scanner and another from Photogrammetry. the point cloud is for road surface texture (pavement).
As the pavement is flat surface it has not got any edges or vertices that you can use for registration. As a result, I am using some target or markers on the surface to be used as sharing point between the two sets. Although, I can export both point clouds to CC successfully with their texture but during registration of the two point clouds. the target points are losing their texture and I am not able to align the markers because I can only see the vertices without texture. Can any one please let me know how to overcome this problem......

Regards
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Registering two point clouds

Post by daniel »

Hi,

I couldn't reproduce the issue: I loaded two points clouds (with RGB colors --> this is what you are calling texture, right?) and I launched the 'Align (point pair picking)' tool (I guessed this is what you are trying to use because you can't use the ICP registration process, am I right again?). The clouds then lose their color just the time of selecting the reference and the compared one, then they get back to their original state (see image below).

If one of the 'cloud' is in fact a mesh with a real "texture" (coming from Photomod for instance), then you'll need to convert first the texture to RGB colors (Edit > Mesh > Convert texture/material to RGB).
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
cc_point_pair_registration.jpg (231.56 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Sarhat

Post by Sarhat »

Hello Daniel

thanks for quick reply, actually, I am aware of that type of registration. In my case I have a flat surface which there are no edges or sharp features that both surfaces can share. I have attached for you a copy of the surface. So as you can see, thee are markers on the surface which I want to use them for registering the two surfaces. So when I use the align registration, these markers lose their texture temporarily. In this case it is difficult or impossible to find the markers. Is their any ways to first write down the xy and z of sharing points.

cheers
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (169.32 KiB) Viewed 6162 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

So finally, were the colors coming from a real mesh "texture"? If yes, did you try to convert it to RGB colors?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Sarhat

Post by Sarhat »

Yes it was from mesh and not from the vertices, Yes you are right I overcome this problem by RGB conversion